Gladstone Town Council Chambers built 1869
On 17 April, 1854, Governor Fitzroy officially installed Maurice Charles O’Connell as government resident of Port Curtis. The town of Gladstone was proclaimed a municipality on 21 February, 1863, and a Town Council duly elected on 6 May 1863.
Prior to 1868, the town hall was a “house rented from a man named Frith” (McDonald p200) but in 1868, Council decided that it needed a more suitable building in which to conduct its affairs.
It took some time to decide a site for the proposed Town Hall. The Town Hall reserve was situated on the corner of Lord and Goondoon Street, and after some discussions over months, it was finally decided to offer the lower half of the land to the Government for the site of the new Customs House and that the Town Hall should occupy the upper half of the reserve. (Golding, p 65)
The council had decided on a brick structure of one room 40 by 20 feet, and two committee rooms 14 by 12 feet. (Golding, p65) The foundation stone for the original GTC chambers was laid on the site in Goondoon Street on 28 November 1868, and the building was completed in 1869. (McDonald, pp200-1)
The building served as the civic Administration Centre for some 64 years. (Golding p 67) A new Town Hall was built in 1934 (now the Gladstone Regional Art Gallery and Museum) and the old Civic Chambers was leased to the Returned Soldiers (RSSILA). Its lease was surrendered to them in 1946. (McDonald, p206)
Paulette Flint, Gladstone.
For a more detailed history of Gladstone’s original Town Hall built in 1869, go to: